Monday, March 25, 2013

Bathroom Redo Part II

This bathroom makeover is the second makeover this small hall bath has gotten since we moved in 2.5 years ago. I can honestly say that in that 2.5 years, my style has changed. Thankfully, Matt puts up with my changing styles and for the most part is a good sport about helping me redo a space.

After we moved in, this bathroom was a blank canvas.

So, what did I do with that blank canvas?

Unfortunately, I did this...

And this...

I added thicker trim than my baseboard trim to the middle of the wall, and to the mirror. Then I topped it off with this terrible paint color that I mixed myself. This poor bathroom stayed this way for 2 years. Luckily, a year ago, I found a website called Pinterest.

If you follow me on Pinterest, you know that lately I have been lovin' me some industrial style stuff, mainly shelving.

With Matt's help, I changed the space above...

to this

and this.


Here is what we did:

We took the trim off the wall and mirror. We had to chip away piece by piece at the mirror trim. We even used paint thinner to dissolve the liquid nails that held the MDF to the mirror. What a NIGHTMARE...

Matt added 3" hook board to the top of the wall. He also added trim around the small window.

He then caulked the trim to fill in the gaps.

I patched, sanded, primed, and painted the walls and trim.

We installed a new light ($40 at Lowe's) and framed around the mirror again, but this time we used wood.

Matt built some awesome industrial style shelves.

Matt made and installed a new shower curtain rod. For this new curtain rod, I bought a new shower curtain ($10 at Walmart), and decorated the shelves.

Matt put together and installed an industrial style towel rack.

And a hand-towel rack.


I love how this bathroom makeover part II turned out. So much better than the first time around.








Stay tuned in the next couple of days for tutorials on the shelving, towel racks, and mirror framing. You won't want to miss it!

5 comments:

Becky (Denton) Berry said...

WOW!! I love it and now I want to see it in person. You and Matt make a great team. :)

Kristen said...

Amazing! I want to follow you on Pintrest. How do I do that? I'm new to the site.

Alli and Rick said...

I love it!! It looks so cool. The mirror and shelving is my favorite part. How do I apply for a home-makeover by team Matt and Jessica?

DCDiva said...

I love the light you got at Lowes I could not find it at my Lowes can you give me more info or a SKU number to order it,Please.

DCDiva said...

I love the light you got at Lowes I could not find it at my Lowes can you give me more info or a SKU number to order it,Please.